POWRXUK’s Top 10 Tips
1. Never leave home without breakfast. It kick starts your body.
2. Avoid overdosing on tea and coffee, you will reduce the production of Cortisol, a well known stress hormone, that not only causes a rise in insulin levels but also makes you age faster.
3. Have a fruity snack between breakfast and lunch, and between lunch and dinnertime. You will avoid energy lows and won’t overeat with your evening meal.
4. Choose a protein and slow release carbohydrates meal for lunch that will ensure a steady flow of insulin.
5. Don’t be tempted by `quick fixes` i.e. crisps, muffins, biscuits as all of those foods will head straight for your hips.
6. Drink plenty of water, ideally have a glass of water on your desk and make it your mission to drink 1 glass of water every hour. You will start looking and feeling better within days.
7. Avoid all artificial sweeteners; they have been linked to various types of cancer. Additionally they `trick` your brain and will long term lead to weight gain.
8. Listen to your body, food is our fuel. It enables us to walk, see, think and concentrate. Therefore we need to ensure a steady balanced supply of nutrients
9. Ensure a daily intake of Vitamin A, B, C, D and E, to boost your immune system especially if you work in an air conditioned office
10. Take time out to eat, enjoy mealtimes and know that you are doing yourself good.
Written by Monika Akabusi